If you're just joining us...
15. American Music
Artist: The Violent Femmes
Album: Why Do Birds Sing?
Ok, I was going to write about the awesomeness of the Violent Femmes, and about how I saw them play a free show in Pittsburgh a couple of years ago. They came out and basically just blasted through every single song of theirs you remember, then played a bunch of other stuff. Almost as if they'd found a compromise between playing the hits and playing what they wanted. Everyone went home happy.
But, then I saw the video was hosted on MTV.com and it was a major flashback. Remember when MTV played not only music videos but videos from bands like the Violent Femmes? I don't, because I grew up in Maine and the state just got cable TV 3 years ago. But I've heard it was really cool.
1. On the Road (Jack Kerouac)
2. The 50 States Song (Sufjan Stevens)
3. No Cars Go (Arcade Fire)
4. Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again (Bob Dylan)
5. I Know Every Street (Lohio)
6. Power (Kanye West)
7. Between Days (Red House Painters)
8. Dogwalkers of the New Age (Breathe Owl Breathe)
9. There There (Radiohead)
10. A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left (Andrew Bird)
11. Ladies Night (Jerome Wincek)
12. O New England (The Decemberists)
13. The Crane Takes Flight (Ted Leo & the Pharmacists)
14. California Stars (Billy Bragg & Wilco)